So, think you know pop music? See how you get on in this pop quiz.
For answers see the link at the bottom. Good luck!
01) Who had a number one in the UK with 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me' in 1982?
02) What year were these three tracks number one 'Jailhouse Rock' / 'It’s All In The Game' / 'When'?
03) Which act had a hit with 'La Bamba' from the movie 'La Bamba'?
04) Whose soul album was called 'Lovesexy'?
05) With which city is Tamla Motown associated?
06) Which 80's song has the lyrics "Who broke my heart? You did, you did"?
07) Identify the 3 minute hero behind the rock 'n' roll song 'Wake Up Little Susie'?
08) What was ABBA's debut UK chart single, the 1974 Eurovision winner?
09) What was the title of the theme from TV’s Van Der Valk, a number one for The Simon Park Orchestra?
10) What was the only Top Ten UK hit for Jesus Jones?
11) Who were the mogul and label behind Oasis' rise?
12) What band and album were these songs from 'Complicated' / 'Anything But Ordinary' / 'Sk8er Boi'?
13) Which label was started by Jerry Dammers of The Specials in 1979?
14) Who are Peter Gill, Holly Johnson, Brian Nash, Mark O’Toole, Paul Rutherford collectively known as?
15) Who treated us to 'A Groovy Kind Of Love' in 1988?
16) What was the first number one for the rappers Run-DMC?
17) Which Spice Girl had a hit with 'I Want You Back' from the film Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
18) Name the musical movement formed as an aid to the Labour Party in the 1980's?
19) With which group did George Michael have a hit with before breaking out on his own?
20) Whole of The Moon was an anthemic hit for which Scottish band?
21) 'Le Freak' was a breakthrough hit for which archetypal disco act?
22) Whose gig at the 1983 Notting Hill Carnival became the album 'Live and Direct'?
23) Who had the hit single 'Cornflake Girl' in 1994?
24) What was A-Ha’s only number one hit?
25) All Rise was the debut album for which new boyband stars in 2001?
26) Which artist appeared with this backing band ...And The Pan?
27) What number did the first Beatles single 'Love Me Do' reach in the UK Chart?
28) Who had 'No Particular Place To Go'?
29) Who had a number one Christmas hit with 'When A Child Is Born' in 1976?
30) Who blew a reputed £250k advance in the Caribbean whilst failing to record an album for Factory?
31) Which one-hit wonder had a UK chart hit with 'Float On' in 1977?
32) With which group did Wyclef Jean and Lauryn Hill first make their name?
33) Michael Diamond, Adam Horovitz, Adam Yauch were better known as?
34) What was the only number one for the Jacksons as a collective?
35) What was the name of the younger brother not in the Bee Gees who died, aged only 30, in 1988?
36) Who contributed a bit of gob-iron (harmonica) to Chaka Khan’s 'I Feel For You'?
37) Who were 'Lookin’ After No. 1' in 1977?
38) Who recorded the songs featured in the adaptation of Nick Hornby’s book, About A Boy?
39) 'Cieli di Toscana' was a Top Ten album for which tenor in 2001?
40) What was Ryan Adams’ critically acclaimed first album?
41) 'Who Let the Dogs' Out in 2000?
42) What is Eminem’s real name?
43) Which Liverpool club revitalised the city’s 90's dance scene?
44) Simple Minds and The Special Aka released separate singles about whose imprisonment?
45) Björk Guðmundsdóttir was in which band before going solo?
46) Stuart Goddard is better known as?
47) Who duetted with Serge Gainsbourg on the risque and banned 'Je T’Aime'?
48) Who was shot dead by his father on the eve of his 45th birthday?
49) What year were the albums 'Brothers In Arms', 'The Queen Is Dead' and 'Revenge' released?
50) Which artists duetted on the hit 'Don’t Go Breaking My Heart'?
51) Which band’s record sleeves featured images of Pat Phoenix, Yootha Joyce and Myra Hindley?
52) Who had a massive hit with 'The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore'?
53) "With a love like that, you know that can’t be bad" are the lyrics from which song?
54) Which duo wrote 'Hound Dog' and 'Don’t Be Cruel' for Elvis?
55) What album are the songs 'I Might Have Been Queen' / 'Let’s Stay Together' / 'Better Be Good to Me' from?
56) What was Gloria Gaynor’s only number one, now a cliché of disco kitsch?
57) Who had a number one hit with the amusingly morbid 'Tell Laura I Love Her'?
58) What year did James have a the hit anthem 'Sit Down'?
59) Who had a hit with 'The Best Things In Life Are Free' in 1992?
60) Who performed a risqué tour called The Girlie Show?
61) Which former Supreme died after an overdose in 1976 aged just 32?
62) What was Elvis Costello’s most successful album, spending over twenty weeks on the chart in 1979?
63) "I took her to a supermarket, I don’t know why but I had to start it somewhere" are lyrics from which song?
64) What is the name of Karen Carpenter’s brother?
65) Which Scandinavian pop act went straight to number one with their debut single 'Barbie Girl'?
66) What was the ghastly 1996 summer hit for Los Del Rio?
67) Which star of Auf Wiedersehen Pet went on to have a successful pop career, with Top Ten singles and albums?
68) Why did Kylie’s second album have the same title as the first, instead of the planned title 'Impossible Princess'?
69) What was Cliff’s first UK number one, in 1959, billed as Cliff Richard and The Drifters?
70) Which came first, 'Puppy Love' or 'Crazy Horses'?
71) Which star was pilloried in the press for dangling his son off a hotel balcony in 2003?
72) 'Living On The Ceiling' was a top 10 hit in the 80's by which band?
73) '18 Wheeler' / 'Just Like A Pill' / 'My Vietnam' are from which album?
74) Who was Billy Joel’s model wife from 1985-1994?
75) Which electronic music artist appeared in the 1999 Bond movie The World Is Not Enough?
76) Who was 'The Godfather of Soul'?
77) 'Back Home' was the England World Cup Squad record from which year?
78) Which was the first reggae single to top the UK charts?
79) 'Hold On' and 'My Lovin’' were hits for which soul sisters?
80) "The letter said that he was hero, she should be proud he died that way" are lyrics from what song?
81) Volkswagen shot which 'Young At Heart' band to number one?
82) Which influential 60s’ producer created the Wall of Sound for the all-girl beat groups at London Records?
83) Who recorded 'Here In My Heart', the UK’s first number one single in 1952?
84) Babylon Zoo had a hit single with 'Spaceman' but what year?
85) A cover of the Bee Gees’ 'Tragedy' gave which dance-pop group their first number one hit?
86) Which country does Brian Adams come from?
87) Milo O’Shea’s character in Roger Vadim’s movie Barbarella gave which band their name?
88) Who recorded a famous live album at San Quentin gaol in 1969?
89) Who spent three weeks at number one with 'Lady In Red'?
90) Which off-the-wall performer was backed by the far from normal Mothers of Invention?
91) Who won BBC’s 2002 Fame Academy contest, and what was his number one debut in 2003?
92) Who went 'Boom! Shake The Room' in 1993?
93) Who provided the splendid voiceover and demonic laughter at the end of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'?
94) Frank Sinatra popularized the song 'My Way' in 1969, but who wrote it?
95) Who had a number four hit with a cover version of The Beatles song 'Yesterday' in 1997?
96) Four cities where everyone’s talking about 'Pop Muzik'?
97) Which sunglasses-sporting American singer had a huge-selling album with 'Not That Kind'?
98) Who is the lead singer of Blur and Gorillaz?
99) Who's had hits with 'Deeper Underground' / 'Virtual Insanity' / ''Feels Just Like It Should'?
100) Marie Lawrie is better known as which Scottish singer?