I've loved all types of 60's - 90's hard rock music for nearly 30yrs now. My Dad always used to play The Beatles or The Who on a beaten up old 'Dansette-style' record player when he was cooking or cleaning and when I was older I would love listening to Tommy Vance on Radio1 every Friday night on my old Waltham record/tape/radio combo in my bedroom. I've always been a bit of a completist, so if I like a band I'd have have everything by them. When I was at school I would get my mates who were into the same type of music to record all of their older brothers record collections and as I didn't have a lot of money I used to scan second hand charity shops for old LP's and 7" records. Before the internet I used to buy Record Collector magazine so I could check the value of my purchases, band's discographies and a little knowledge of what they were all about. But now the internet has made my passion so much easier and I thought I'd do a quiz on the kind of music I like which I'm sure if you're into Classic Rock & Metal you will too!
See how well you did click the link below..
01) In which year did Pink Floyd release their final album 'The Division Bell'?
02) Who is Derek William Dick better known as?
03) What is the name of Iron Maiden's only UK number one single to date?
04) Which Foo Fighters track does the lyrics "fingernails are pretty, fingernails are good" come from?
05) In what year did AC/DC's lead singer Bonn Scott die?
06) What was The Who's first single called in 1965?
07) Which parody Heavy Rock band claimed that their drummer spontaneously combusted on stage during a jazz festival?
08) Which notorious Heavy Metal band released an autobiography called 'The Dirt' in 2001?
09) In which year did Bill Wyman leave The Rolling Stones?
10) Slash from Guns 'N' Roses was born in which country?
11) What is Alice Cooper's real name?
12) In which film did Jon Bon Jovi provide the music and a hit single in 1990?
13) How many UK studio albums did The Beatles release in their 10 years together?
14) Which British band are credited as one of the 1st rock groups to release an album on the all new compact disc in 1985?
15) What is Pink Floyd's 1967 top 20 hit 'Arnold Layne' single all about?
16) In which year did The Kinks form?
17) What were Led Zeppelin previously called before signing to Atlantic Records?
18) Rage Against The Machine got a surprise UK Christmas No.1 with a re-release of 'Killing in the Name' but what year?
19) Also in that same year what was the name of the supergroup Dave Grohl, Josh Homme & John Paul Jones formed?
20) Who is Ian Kilmister better known as?
21) At what age did Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix die?
22) Which famous Canadian musician did Lynyrd Skynyrd sing about in 'Sweet Home Alabama'?
23) In which year did Ozzy Osbourne get the sack from Black Sabbath?
24) Who did Metallica controversially lose out on a Grammy Award for 'New Best Hard Rock/Metal Act' to in 1989?
25) What did the Hard Rock band Kiss famously do in 1983?
26) What is the name of the track by Fleetwood Mac used on BBC's Formula One show?
27) What was Billy Idols' previous punk band called?
28) What happened to the drummer in Def Leppard that side-lined him for a year in 1984?
29) Two of the members in which band were nicknamed 'The Toxic Twins' due to their over indulgence of drug taking?
30) Which spoof UK Heavy Metal band consisted of 3/4 of the BBC comedy The Young Ones?
31) In which year did Bob Dylan controversially 'go electric'?
32) In 1990, which group appeared as the "band at the party" in the film Back to the Future Part III?
33) In 1987 Whitesnake had a huge hit with a remake of 'Here I go Again' but which album did it originally appear?
34) Who sang for Van Halen between 1997 and 1999?
35) What did Ugly Kid Joe hate in 1992?
36) Which supergroup consisted of ex members from Mudcrutch, The Beatles and ELO?
37) What colour did The Stranglers sing about in 1982?
38) 'Zenyatta Mondatta' is a 1980 album from which British rock band
39) Apart from fronting Iron Maiden, literature and once ranked 7th in GB at fencing, for what is Bruce Dickinson also famous for?
40) Who was the first rock artist ever to be arrested onstage during a concert performance?
41) Which group had a Top 10 hit in the UK called 'The Logical Song' in 1979?
42) Which American Hard Rock band released a covers album called 'The Spaghetti Incident?' in 1993?
43) Which Marillion hit song led to the popular rise of a certain girls name in the summer of 1985?
44) Soundgarden and Pearl Jam made a tribute album for the late singer Andrew Wood, what were they called?
45) In 1977 what Sex Pistols song was famously denied UK No.1 as to not cause controversy due to a famous event that week?
46) He's sung in Rainbow and Black Sabbath and is regarded as one of the greatest voices in Heavy Rock & Metal, who is he?
47) Which English county do The Rolling Stones hail from?
48) Where was Freddie Mercury born?
49) Who's the famous guitarist who appeared in such supergroups as Blind Faith and Cream?
50) What 1976 album by an English rock musician is regarded as one of the best-selling live album in the US?
51) Aerosmith appeared in which 1993 American comedy film staring Mike Myers?
52) The Red Hot Chili Peppers covered a classic Stevie Wonder track in 1989, which?
53) Who sung backing vocals on Dire Straits 'Money for Nothing'?
54) The Wilson sisters formed which American Rock band?
55) In which year did the grunge band Nirvana release their first LP?
56) Paul Hewson, David Evans, Adam Clayton and Laurence Mullen are better known as which rock group?
57) Who's the famous guitarist that duels with Ralph Macchio in the 1986 film Crossroads?
58) The infamous fire at a Frank Zappa concert in Montreux inspired the lyrics to which Deep Purple rock anthem?
59) He was the lead singer for Free and Bad Company, what was his name?
60) The guitarist Saul Hudson is better known as?
61) In which year did Peter Gabriel leave Genesis to pursue a successful solo career?
62) How many No.1 singles have The Who had in the US?
63) Which US solo artist had the riff laden hit in 1993 with 'Are You Gonna Go My Way'?
64) What was the name of the Bon Jovi album that included the hits singles 'Livin' on a Prayer' and 'You Give Love a Bad Name'?
65) 'If there's a bustle in your hedgerow don't be alarmed now, It's just a spring clean for the May queen' are the lyrics of which song?
66) Which veteran British Heavy Metal band had UK chart success in 1980 with songs from the album 'British Steel'?
67) Demon, Star Child, Spaceman and The Cat are the stage names for which American Hard rock band?
68) Who is Marvin Lee Aday better known as?
69) In what year did Joan Jett & The Blackhearts have a hit with 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll'?
70) Which British rock band had the last UK No.1 of the 1970's?
71) Buckingham Nicks joined which British blues rock band in 1975 to launch them into mainstream success?
72) Which American Heavy Metal band had US chart success with two Slade covers in 1983 and 1984?
73) Which American state were Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi born?
74) In which year did Swedish Heavy Metal band Europe have their No.1 hit 'The Final Countdown'
75) Which famous American shock rocker made a cameo appearance in the first Wayne's World movie?
76) Steve Winwood had a Top 20 hit with 'Valerie' in 1987, but with which British band did he start his career?
77) What was the name of the original incarnation of the American band Starship?
78) Bob Dylan appeared in which 1973 western movie?
79) Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains all hail from which American coastal seaport city?
80) Irish rocker Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy had a pop hit with Migde Ure used on as the TOTP theme tune, what was it called?
81) What's the stage costume of AC/DC's lead guitarist Angus Young?
82) Which The Allman Brothers Band instrumental song is used as the theme music for BBC's Top Gear?
83) Which veteran German Heavy Metal band had a 1990's worldwide power ballad hit with 'Wind of Change'?
84) How many No.1 singles did The Beatles have in the UK?
85) In what year was Marc Bolan killed in a car crash?
86) "Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world, Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit" are lyrics from which song?
87) What did Simon & Garfunkel call themselves before they changed their name?
88) AC/DC are regarded as an Australian Hard Rock band, but where were most of the classic line-up born?
89) Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee, Vince Neil and Mick Mars are the members of which American hard rock band?
90) Who's track was 'Born on the Bayou'?
91) Which Jimi Hendrix Experience cover version of a Bob Dylan track is considered to be far greater than the original?
92) Which song did Axl Rose sing with Elton John at the The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert?
93) Iron Maiden had a UK No.1 album with 'The Number of the Beast' in 1982, but which top 10 single did it produce?
94) What disaster in 1937 is pictured on Led Zeppelin's debut LP in 1969?
95) Named after a chapter in the book 'The Wind in the Willows', what was Pink Floyd's first album called?
96) How old was The Who drummer Keith Moon when he died in 1978?
97) Black Sabbath had a surprise Top 5 hit in the UK in 1970, with what?
98) What power ballad by Anglo-American rock band Foreigner hit No.1 in the UK and US in 1984?
99) Motörhead's Lemmy was sacked from Hawkwind in 1975, but what was Hawkwind's biggest hit single which he sang?
100) Born John Simon Ritchie in Lewisham, London, who was this punk rocker better known as?
How well do you think you did?